Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Interview with an Ally: Four Eyes

Name: Four eyes

Age: 22

Race/Ethnicity: Caucasian

Gender: Female

Religion: Jewish

When and how did you first decide you were a heterosexual?: I don’t think there was a definitive point where I just stood up and had the epiphany that I was hetero. It’s just an attraction that kind of...happened. The thing is, I feel like defining your sexuality also relies on your experiences. I know I’m attracted to men but that was validated by my sexual experiences with men. Do I think women are beautiful? Of course! If I had a sexual experience with a woman and thoroughly enjoyed it, that would mean validating that I am bisexual [oh, labels]. But until then I’m heterosexual and have known so for a good while.

To whom have you disclosed your heterosexual tendencies? How did they react?: I’ve disclosed this to a number of people, including my friends, the men i’ve slept with and the [male] friends i’ve slept with. My parents have known for a while too. Everyone’s reactions? They seem to be pretty understanding of it. 

Is it possible your heterosexuality is just a phase you may grow out of?: Nah. I don’t think loving men with beards is a phase either.

What do you think caused your heterosexuality?: My experiences and my genes. And as it is obligatory to say as a sociology major, society definitely forms the way we look at relationships. With barely any same-sex couples on tv, it’s constantly being pushed into our brains that heterosexual couples are the norm. Anything outside that norm is different and weird. So I blame the media. As always.



Special thanks to Four Eyes for her courage and insight!
*Questions taken from the Heterosexuality Questionnaire, Attributed to Martin Rochlin, PhD, January 1977*

-Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment