Friday, September 28, 2012

Interview with an Ally: Andy

Name: Andy

Age: 28

Race/Ethnicity: White

Gender: Male

Religion: Agnostic/Muslim

Socio-economic status: Working class

Disability Status: Able bodied

When and how did you first decide you were a heterosexual?: I think I knew I was heterosexual from the beginning, although there were times when I would think if I was attracted to the same sex, it always seemed clear to me that I was attracted to the opposite sex.

To whom have you disclosed your heterosexual tendencies? How did they react?: I have not really disclosed it to anyone, it has been just assumed that I am heterosexual.

Have you tried an alternative to heterosexuality?: No I have not.

Is it possible your heterosexuality is just a phase you may grow out of?: I doubt it is just a phase. I am pretty sure that I am heterosexual and am attracted to the opposite sex.

What do you think caused your heterosexuality?: Probably a combination of my biological make-up. I find women attractive and sexually arousing. I can recognize attractiveness in men as well but I do not find them sexually attractive or arousing. It is a combination of my inclination to find the opposite sex attractive and sexually arousing, and the social forces in place that make any other options less viable and even unthinkable to some that are close to me that has caused my heterosexuality.

*Questions taken from the Heterosexuality Questionnaire, Attributed to Martin Rochlin, PhD, January 1977*

No comments:

Post a Comment